Thursday, 14 July 2011

Slow progress

I've been back in OZ for a while now and have been slowly chipping away at the re-build, slow going but I've found that the little bits eventually come together to make some real progress.
When I got back I started the ball rolling on my engine, I'm getting a cam shaft mod done to help lubrication of the cam shaft lobes and lifters, there was a slight bit of pitting on one of the lobes when the engine was pulled down and inspected, I've had the cam shaft ground the remove that pitting damage, I'm also getting the cam drilled for an oil gallery and weep holes, Lycoming engines have a bit of history in making metal from cam shaft wear so maybe this mod will help eliminate that problem.
While I'm waiting on the engine rebuild I've been working on the cowling attach tangs, when I first fitted the cowl I found that there was a bit if miss match at the top of the cowling where it meets the new firewall and canopy FWD skin, it took me a few days to make up shims to get the transition perfect, even with all the cleco pins holding everything in place she is starting to look awesome, well I think so..


Engine cowling temp fitted, still work to be done on the canopy

I've also been working on some side panels with built in armrests, I've been toying with this idea of making my own panels for a while now, I think I've worked everything out in my head, so far I've only got the RH side half finished, the LH is cut to size with the armrest started, still need to do the shaping and contour sculpting, I'm really happy with the way the RH blank is looking, i've spent loads of hours on it so far, when I get it to a stage where I'm happy with it I'll make a glass mould of it and make up some sexy carbon fibre side panels. Not sure if I'm going to keep the carbon look or have the panels upholstered.. I'll see how it looks out of the mould.. It's going to look sexy either way, they should really presents the cabin with a clean professional aircraft look..

RHS, side panel, half completed, still have to make a mould off it, looks really good so far..


The things you can make with a skilled tradesman, a lath and mill
 new tie downs and jacking points

When I finish the re-build of my 6, I'm thinking of taking on another project, I was contacted by an RV pilot on the Mid North coast who has a damaged RV6A, looking at the photo's it looks fixable, might be a bit more damage than my plane, I've also been contacted by another guy in Perth who has a few surplus parts from his RV6 build so the more I think of it the more interested I am in maybe taking on another rebuild, this one has been fun working threw the little problems and learning new things so who knows..
Still waiting on my Empennage kit, thought it would have arrived in OZ by now.. More updates on the rebuild later. Not too much longer now.


This what she looked like when she first arrived at my garage/hangar, all beaten up by her previous owner, in need of a loving re-build and smooth caressing love, in the hands of a skilled aircraft engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment