Saturday, 30 April 2011

My RV-6 Rebuild

Guess who's building a Plane...

I've been working away on my damaged VANS RV6 for 6 months now, I bought it from a guy in Dubbo after he attempted an emergency landing/crash after an engine failure, he flipped upside down damaging the aircraft, canopy, firewall, Vert, and Hori stabiliser, prop. (he wasn't hurt) I ordered a lot of new parts from Vans the manufacturer in the US, now all i have to do is fit them.
That's the fun part..



This is what she first looked like when Kiero
and I flew down to Dubbo in his Lancair to check her out.


Loaded up ready for the 11hr drive back to Brisy

 

Back home in my garage/hangar



Damaged skin removed



Damaged LH LWR wing skin removed



New wing skin installed



Looks good, I also moved the GPS Antenna


Damaged lower engine cowling


Cowling repairs progressing

Engine disassembled and inspected


After I removed the Engine I sent it away to Sunny Coast Aero Engines for a complete disassembly and inspection, there was a small amount of pitting on one of the lobes on the camshaft, apart from that the engine is in good condition.
 
 

New bits from the US, now I just have to work out were they all go.

New and old Firewalls

Engine cowling repaired and sanded back ready for paint

How good does it look with the spinner

The new Firewall is ready for installation, just waiting on a few things, I'm making up new floor boards, it took ages to chip away at the old cork matting that was glued down. The new floor boards will be removable for inspection and cleaning. When the firewall is back in place I can finish off the engine mount and landing gear installation.
More updates later as the rebuild progresses.



No comments:

Post a Comment